Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Author Spotlight: Joyce Robins

Joyce Robins says, "I have been writing stories and poems since childhood and have just completed a manuscript, a memoir in episodic style of growing up in Toronto in the 1920’s and i930’s. My earliest influences were my grandmother, my mother, six aunts and two uncles, a large co-operative, creative, story telling family who all lived together. My mother was the oldest of grandmother’s nine children and I was the precocious child in their midst- an observer and participant. Men were scarce in our family as men tended to die early. My stepfather was a teacher, folklorist, a writer who in spite of everything had a profound influence on my development as a writer.

"My first piece of literary writing “An American Wife in Madrid” was published in ‘The Reconstructionist’ in 1959. In the mid 1960’s I wrote a series of articles for 3 Peninsula newspapers based on my experiences at W. & J. Sloanes’s on El Camino in Los Altos and Breuners Design Studios on Sutter Street in San Francisco. I had a by-line and the editor dubbed the column “Decorator’s Casebook.”

Joyce will be on the Creative Arts Stage today from 4-5pm, sharing with us her memories and ideas about writing memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment